Maungaturoto will be celebrating 150 Years in 2013


Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's who says it that sells the product

These days in modern advertising it's the young, the gorgeous and the famous that endorse a manufacturers products. Back in the 19th and early 20th Centuries in the small settlements scattered around Northland and New Zealand what the most respected of gentlemen recommended mattered. Joesph Ryan Hotel Keeper at Pahi in 1913 was more than pleased to endorse a product with most likely a less than pleasant taste. This little snippet was found in the Evening Post 25 March 1913

PAHI HOTEL KEEPER, BAD WITH COLIC

Mr Joseph Ryan, Hotel Keeper of Pahi, N.Z, was very bad with colic and tried many remedies without results. Then the honourable Mrs Scotland advised his wife to give him Chamberlain's Colic and Diarrhoea Remedy. He says

"I was skeptical and refused to take it. I reckoned such things were no good. At last I got so bad that my wife prevailed upon me to take it. After two doses I was right and have been so ever since. I was in a bad way, I can tell you, but now I swear by Chamberlain's Colic and Diarrhoea Remedy and always keep it handy." -Advert.

I'm not so convinced...

No comments:

Post a Comment