Maungaturoto will be celebrating 150 Years in 2013


Sunday, March 2, 2014

Maungaturoto Congregational Church Cemetery Records going digital


Albie Paton and the Maungaturoto 150th committee, had gone through the trouble of listing the Burial Plots, and names of the people buried at the Maungaturoto Congregational Church Cemetery for the celebrations held in November last year. I photographed the list and the cemetery map recently. The Kaipara District has no online access to any of the cemeteries in the area, this includes Maungaturoto. I've created a website for the Maungaturoto Cemetery Records. This is still a work in progress, given the large amount of burials and names I still have to enter into the website database. At the time of writing, I'm currently doing the Cullen family list, which is quite an extensive one.


The forgotten war grave of Harold Frederick Cullen

During my investigations into some of the names listed in the burial register, I've discovered there are the graves of several war veterans, two of which are Commonwealth War Graves. One of them, Ivan Davidson Cullen (WW2) is listed with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC), whereas the other for Harold Cullen has been somehow overlooked. At first, I thought I had photographed the same gravesite twice. But as it turned out, I had in fact photographed two separate war graves. I've since written to the CWGC advising them that Harold Cullen is not showing on their list. Harold died at the young age of 30, due to complications caused by his service in the First World War. With the 100th Anniversary this year of the start of the First World War, it's important we all pay our respects to the men who fought for their country in this war and the wars since.  I hope this year we see those men's graves and memorials with flowers on them all, so in spirit they know they have not been forgotten. Lest we forget.

6 comments:

  1. The In From the Cold Project - http://www.infromthecold.org/ - is dedicated to ensuring recognition of men and women who don't appear in the CWGC records who died before 31 August 1921. It's not clear from your photograph when he died but it might be helpful to contact them about Harold Cullen. I also notice his death doesn't appear on the Auckland War Memorial record for him at http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/cenotaph/locations.aspx#

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anne I've since had contact with the CWGC in NZ here. I have Harolds details now but sadly because he passed away after the cut off date he doesn't qualify for a CWGC listing. He does have a war grave and the commission have kindly provided details on how to keep the stone maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz .. just checking with you. Over many years I have been compiling a huge roll for 2nd N.Z.E.F. servicemen with links to Northland. The name Henry Herbert has come up. He is shown on the Auckland War Memorial Cenotaph Roll as buried in the Maungaturoto Lawn Cemetery, which I take to be the Congregational cemetery. His service number is 22280. I don't know when he died, possibly he is Henry Sefton Herbert who died in 1989... but not sure. I don't see him on your database though. Is this still a work in progress? By the way I am the great grandson of Rev. Charles E Davidson, after whom the Congregational church in Maungaturoto is named.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buried in RSA lawn cemetery in View Street Maungaturoto. I'll need to check my images and see if I've got one of his grave.

      Delete
  4. Amy, I had no idea you have such a strong connection to Maungaturoto. Good work with the cemetery records. (The things you miss when you stop blogging!!) I'll have fun catching up.

    ReplyDelete