Maungaturoto will be celebrating 150 Years in 2013

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Death by Carbonic Acid Gas Bath?

Story from the Northern Advocate 16th June 1902

According to the news story anyone with lung trouble should not have one of these baths but what was the purpose of Carbonic Acid Gas? Apparently in the 1800s it was considered to be anaesthetic agent whereby painful body parts once immersed became less painful. When inhaled, in the diluted, state, the gas is said to accelerate the circulation but it sounds like this was the type of procedure that warranted the advice of a doctor first before going through with it and what made it worse for Mr Gray was that he'd first jumped in and out of a cold then hot bath which as we know is a shock to the system. (information from here).

So why did Mr Gray ignore the rule and advice of Mr Breedon?

No comments:

Post a Comment